A flyweight showdown has been added to a stacked UFC on Fox 7 fight card as Joe Benavidez will meet Darren Uyenoyama. It is unclear where the bout will end up on the fight card at this time. UFC officials announced the pairing earlier this week.
Joe Benavidez notched a contentious victory over Ian McCall at UFC 156. The victory got the Team Alpha Male fighter back in the win column after losing a battle with Demetrious Johnson for the flyweight title at UFC 152. With Johnson currently sideline with shoulder surgery, this bout could effectively become a title eliminator.
Darren Uyenoyama is one of the better fighters in the world at 125-pounds that many have never heard off. The grappling specialist has evolved into one of the better all-round fighters in the division and will look to increase his current win-streak to four when he faces Benavidez.
The bout will join what will be a stacked UFC on Fox 7 fight card in San Jose, California. The main event for the card will have lightweight champion Benson Henderson putting his title on the line against final Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. The card will be co-headlined by a heavyweight battle between Daniel Cormier and Frank Mir. The card will take place April 20 at the HP Pavilion.
- UFC Lightweight Championship: Benson Henderson (c) vs. Gilbert Melendez
- Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir
- Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson
- Matt Brown vs. Dan Hardy
- Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
- Roger Bowling vs. Anthony Njokuani
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Tim Means
- Myles Jury vs. Ramsey Nijem
- Francis Carmont vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Clifford Starks vs. Yoel Romero
- Norman Parke vs. Jon Tuck
- Joe Benavidez vs. Darren Uyenoyama