Bellator 94 took place Thursday night at the Sun Dome in Tampa, Florida. In the main event, Emanuel Newton and Mikhail Zayats engaged in a hard-fought battle that saw Newton victorious. David Rickels’s would best Saad Awad in the evening’s co-main event.
In other action, Luis Melo and Rodrigo Lima picked up victories on the evening’s Spike TV main card.
Newton Edges Zayats for Light Heavyweight Tournament Crown
A pair of underdogs met tonight for light heavyweight tournament crown and the two fighters put up a solid battle for the $100,000 check and title shot. After a contentious two rounds of fighting, the fight came down to the third round. Newton would land the biggest shot of the round with a nice counter that resulted in a crucial knockdown.
Zayats would battle back and try everything he could to reverse his fortunes but came up short in this fight. Newton will now face off with newly crowned champion Attila Vegh. Vegh notched a controversial decision over Newton in the Season 7 light heavyweight tournament that the Hungarian would eventually win.
Rickels Fells Awad for Lightweight Tournament Crown
David Rickels’s move to the lightweight division paid off tonight as he secured the Season 8 Lightweight Tournament crown over Saad Awad. The two fighters were engaged in a great fight over the first two round of the bout. In the closing seconds of the second round, Rickels would land a strong combination that scored a big knockdown on Awad as the bell rang.
Awad appeared to be recovering as his corner began to enter the cage but the referee would call the bout before they got set up. Awad immediately protested the stoppage but the protest fell on deaf ears with the referee.
Rickels will now face off with Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler later this year.
Bellator 94 Results:
Main Card (10PM ET SpikeTV)
- Light Heavyweight Tournament Final: Emanuel Newton def. Mikhail Zayats via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- Lightweight Tournament Final: David Rickels def. Saad Awad via TKO (ref’s stoppage) at 5:00 of Round 2
- Luis Melo def. Trey Houston via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 1:09 of Round 3
- Rodrigo Lima def. Ronnie Mann via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Preliminary Card (7:30PM ET)
- Julien Williams def. Kenny Moss by submission (guillotine choke) at 3:19 of Round 1
- Augusto Sakai def. Rob Horton by TKO (strikes) at 4:01 of Round 2
- Jessica Aguilar def. Patricia Vidonic by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Joe Taimanglo def. Ronnie Rogers via submission (north-south choke) at :33 of Round 2
- Edson Berto def. Bruno Carvalho via submission (heel hook) at 1:27 of Round 1
- Patrick Cenoble vs. Tony Fryklund ruled a draw (29-27, 27-29, 28-28)
- Felice Herrig def. Heather Clark via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)