There were quite a few interesting little news stories from the UFC 68 post-fight press conference and from the fight results that beg some attention:
- After his loss, Tim Sylvia was quick to say he had an injury. Turns out he hurt his back and nearly pulled out of the fight because of it. Does this lessen Couture’s win? Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments.
- Attendance at UFC 68 has been widely reported as 19,049 and the gate of over $3 million. To this Dana White remarked that the fight was the biggest in North American MMA history and the biggest event ever for Nationwide Arena.
- Due to the time delay of having an event in England, UFC 70 may not be a PPV and could potentially air on HBO, according to MMAWeekly.com.
- Also revealed at the press conferece was that UFC light heavyweight champ Chuck Liddell has pnemonia (which explains his loopiness on TV several days ago). Dana White is concerned with his staus heading into UFC 71 in May and whether he will be ready to fight.
- Mirko Cro Cop had asked White for a match against Brandon Vera, who has one UFC fight left on his contract, but White will not book the fight unless Vera resigns. This may also give way for a match between Cro Cop and Couture later in 2007.