UFC light heavyweight contender Lyoto Machida has been removed from the promotion’s October 18th UFC 89 card after Machida’s original opponent, Thiago Silva, withdrew from the matchup due to a back injury and the UFC was unable to secure another opponent for the bout.
Ed Soares, Machida’s manager, has informed MMA Junkie that Machida is likely to return to the octagon in December or January.
The current UFC 89 fight card features:
- Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben
- Keith Jardine vs. Brandon Vera
- Luiz Cane vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
- Chris Lytle vs. Paul Taylor
- Shane Carwin vs. Neil Wain
- Marcus Davis vs. Paul Kelly
- Akihiro Gono vs. Dan Hardy
- David Bielkheden vs. Jess Liaudin
- Terry Etim vs. Sam Stout
- David Baron vs. Jim Miller
- Per Eklund vs. Sammy Schiavo