Fighters hit the scales this afternoon in Florida to weigh-in for their matchups at WEC 36, which takes place tomorrow, November 5th, at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida and airs live on Versus.
WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber weighed in under the 145-pound featherweight limit at 144.5 pounds on his initial weigh-in attempt, while challenger Mike Brown missed the limit by one-half of a pound on his first try, but successfully weighed in at 145 pounds on his second attempt.
WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho, meanwhile, made headlines for all the wrong reasons on Tuesday, missing the 185-pound middleweight limit by an astonishing 7 pounds, weighing in at 192 pounds. On a second weigh-in attempt two hours later he had shed 3 pounds, dropping to 189, but remained 4 pounds over the contracted weight. Challenger Chael Sonnen successfully weighed in at 184.5 pounds and the bout will go on as a three-round, non-title clash with Sonnen receiving 25% of Filho’s purse as penalty for failing to make weight.
Rani Yahya also failed to make weight for his bantamweight bout against Yoshiro Maeda, weighing in one pound over the 136 allowed bantamweight limit. Maeda has agreed to fight Yahya at 137 pounds and fight will go on as scheduled.
WEC 36 WEIGH-IN RESULTS
- Mike Brown (145) vs. Urijah Faber (144.5)
- Chael Sonnen (184.5) vs. Paulo Filho (189)
- Leonard Garcia (145.5) vs. Jens Pulver (144)
- Nissen Osterneck (184.5) vs. Jake Rosholt (185.5)
- Donald Cerrone (156) vs. Rob McCullough (155.5)
- Steve Steinbeiss (202) vs. Carmelo Marrero (206)
- Rani Yahya (137) vs. Yoshiro Maeda (135)
- Aaron Simpson (184.5) vs. David Avellan (185)
- Jonathan Brookins (146) vs. Jose Aldo (146)
- Rafael Dias (155) vs. Danny Castillo (156)