Mike Brown upset WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber on Wednesday night, TKO’ing the 145-pound champ midway through the opening round of their headlining bout at WEC 36 “Faber vs. Brown” at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
Faber appeared to have the upper hand early, connecting more frequently with strikes while Brown looked for takedowns. On a single-leg attempt midway through the frame Faber made a minor mistake and Brown capitalized, rocking Faber with a right before dropping him to the canvas with a left. Brown followed him to the ground and finished him off with strikes to force the referee to step in and declare Brown the new WEC featherweight champion.
After the loss Faber praised Brown’s performance but vowed to recapture the title, while Brown thanked the crowd and his camp before being helped to the locker room with an apparent rib injury.
In other featured action Chael Sonnen stood his way to a unanimous decision over WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho in a three-round, non-title contest and Leonard Garcia quickly dispatched of Jens Pulver with strikes just over one-minute into their main card clash.
WEC 36 “FABER VS. BROWN” RESULTS
- Mike Brown def. Urijah Faber (c) via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 2:23
WEC Featherweight Championship
- Chael Sonen def. Paulo Filho via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Three-round, non-title bout
- Leonard Garcia def. Jens Pulver via TKO (strikes) — Round1, 1:12
- Jake Rosholt def. Nissen Osterneck via TKO (strikes) — Round 2, 3:48
- Donald Cerrone def. Rob McCullough via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Aaron Simpson def. David Avellan via KO (strikes) — Round 1, 0:18
- Jose Aldo def. Justin Brookins via TKO (strikes) — Round 3, 0:45
- Carmelo Marrero def. Steve Steinbeiss via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Danny Castillo def. Rafael Dias via TKO (strikes) — Round 2, 2:54
- Rani Yahya def. Yoshiro Maeda via submission (guillotine) — Round 1, 3:30
For complete, round-by-round results click here.