MMAFrenzy’s coverage of UFC on FOX 7’s FX preliminary card concludes with our coverage of the final three preliminary bouts on tonight’s card. In the final prelim of the night, Chad Mendes defeated Darren Elkins with a dominating performance. In other action, Francis Carmont and Myles Jury picked up victories in the Octagon tonight.
Darren Elkins vs. Chad Mendes
Chad Mendes wasted no time in dispatching Darren Elkins tonight in San Jose. Mendes’ constantly improving striking made the difference in this fight, as he dropped the late-replacement just over a minute into the fight. Mendes has now won three straight fights by KO/TKO since losing to UFC featherweight champion José Aldo at UFC 142.
Carmont nets Dubious Victory over Larkin
Francis Carmont got an assist from the judges tonight in San Jose in defeating Lorenz Larkin. Carmont got the dubious nod in a tough fight with the Strikeforce import. Larkin out-landed the Tristar product and defended the majority of Carmont’s takedowns. While Carmont gets the victory on the score cards, Larkin was the popular choice in a fight for good reason.
Jury Annihilates Nijem
Myles Jury stayed perfect in his MMA career with a devastating knockout victory over Ramsey Nijem. After a fun grappling battle in the opening frame, Jury would take advantage of Nijem’s risky striking style in the second. Nijem would rush forward with a series of strikes that just missed the mark, Jury took advantage of Nijem’s dropped hands and floored him with a crisp overhand punch that floored his TUF 13 castmate. Jury is now 12-0 in his MMA career.
UFC on FOX 7 Preliminary Card Results:
- Chad Mendes def. Darren Elkins via TKO (strikes) at 1:08 of Round 1
- Francis Carmont def. Lorenz Larkin via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- Myles Jury def. Ramsey Nijem via KO (punch) at 1:02 of Round 2
- Joseph Benavidez def. Darren Uyenoyama via TKO (strikes) at 4:50 of Round 2
- Jorge Masvidal def. Tim Means via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- T.J. Dillashaw def. Hugo Viana via TKO (strikes) at 4:22 of Round 1
Facebook Preliminary Card
- Anthony Njokuani def. Roger Bowling via KO (punch) at 2:52 of Round 2
- Yoel Romero def. Clifford Starks via KO (Knee and Strikes) at 1:32 of Round 1