Jon Jones may be eager to fight again this fall, and possibly twice before the year is up, but according to Dana White the light-heavyweight champ’s return could be delayed. Jones is of course recovering from a dislocated toe he incurred while storming through Chael Sonnen at UFC 159 last month.
While speaking at a media event Thursday to promote this Saturday’sUFC 160, UFC President Dana White reported the following about Jones’ recovery (quote via MMA Fighting.com):
“He says he feels great, the toe’s healing good, but the problem is that ligament. That ligament popped. Anytime you tear a ligament, blood flow helps repair the thing and heal, and you don’t get a lot of blood flow to the toe. Who knows? This thing could be six weeks, it could be six months. It’s a pain in the ass, man. Always some little, crazy thing.”
White added that Jones will undergo a MRI when he returns from vacationing in Russia, and that the scan should provide more details as to when the light-heavyweight champ can return.
Jones has said he wants to fight again this fall and hopes to set a new record of six successful title defenses. After that the 25 year-old superstar plans to examine his options in terms of moving to heavyweight or booking a superfight. Of course, if Jones can’t start training again for a few more months, his next bout would likely be pushed back to the end of 2013.