Bellator Season 7 tournament champion Dave Jansen has been forced out of his scheduled bout with Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler due to an ACL injury. In his place will be Season 8 tournament champion David Rickels. The bout between Chandler and Rickels will be moved to Bellator 97 on July 31.
Bellator officials announced the move earlier today via press release.
David Rickels won the Season 8 tournament by defeating Saad Awad by TKO at Bellator 94. Rickels has not lost since dropping to lightweight at Bellator 87. “The Caveman” will be looking to end Chandler’s perfect run when they face off.
Bellator 96 Main Card:
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament: King Mo Lawal (9-2) vs. Seth Petruzelli (14-7)
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament: Renato “Babalu” Sobral (37-10) vs. Jacob Noe (11-2)
- Bellator Heavyweight Tournament: Vitaly Minakov (10-0) vs. Ron Sparks (8-1)
- Welterweight Feature Fight: War Machine (12-4) vs. Blas Avena (8-6)
- Bellator Heavyweight Tournament: Vinicius “Spartan” Queiroz (6-3) vs. Rich Hale (21-5)
Bellator 97 Main Card:
- Bellator Lightweight Title Fight: Michael Chandler (11-0) vs. David Rickels (14-1)
- Bellator Welterweight Title Fight: Ben Askren (11-0) vs. Andrey Koreshkov (13-0)
- Bellator Welterweight Tournament Finals: Douglas Lima (24-5) vs. Ben Saunders (16-5-2)
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Finals: TBD vs. TBD
- Bellator Featherweight Feature Fight: Patricio Pitbull (17-2) vs. Rob Emerson (12-10)