TUF 17 champion Kelvin Gastelum has a new opponent for his first bout since the show’s finale. The fighter will now be taking on Brian Melancon in Indianapolis after Paulo Thiago was forced out with a knee injury. News of the bout was first reported on Tuesday’s edition of UFC Tonight.
Kelvin Gastelum has been one of the best stories of the year so far. The former middleweight was a longshot to win TUF 17 and completed his improbable run by upsetting Team Sonnen teammate Uriah Hall in the show’s live finale this past April.
Brian Melancon made an explosive UFC debut this past July, crushing Seth Baczynski with a last second first round knockout. The talented fighter entered the UFC after a 1-1 record in Strikeforce. Melancon will look to make it three straight victories when he takes on Gastelum.
UFC Fight Night 27 will take place in Indianapolis and see a rematch between welterweights Martin Kampmann and Carlos Condit headline the card. The main card lineup will feature six fights including an intriguing co-main event between lightweights Donald Cerrone and Rafael dos Anjos, as well as the welterweight debut of Gastelum, and an exciting women’s bantamweight fight between US Olympic silver medalist Sara McMann and former Strikeforce bantamweight champion Sarah Kaufman.
UFC Fight Night 27 Fight Card:
Main Card (FOX Sports 1 8PM ET)
- Carlos Condit vs. Martin Kampmann
- Donald Cerrone vs. Rafael dos Anjos
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Brian Melancon
- Sarah Kaufman vs. Sara McMann
- Court McGee vs. Robert Whittaker
- Robert McDaniel vs. Brad Tavares
Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 2 6PM ET)
- Takeya Mizugaki vs. Erik Perez
- Papy Abedi vs. Dylan Andrews
- Justin Edwards vs. Brandon Thatch
- Darren Elkins vs. Hatsu Hioki
Preliminary Card (Facebook 4:30PM ET)
- James Head vs. Jason High
- Ben Alloway vs. Zak Cummings
- Roger Bowling vs. Abel Trujillo