The Bellator MMA Season 9 debut has taken yet another hit as Joe Warren has been forced out of his co-main event bout with Nick Kirk after not being medically cleared by the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation. The promotion will move a lightweight bout between fan favorite Patricky “Pitbull” Freire and Derek Anderson to the Spike TV main card.
Bellator MMA CEO explained the move earlier today via press release:
“I’ve been fortunate to work with one of the best commissioners in the sport in Mike Mazzulli, and after carefully reviewing Joe’s medical documents, everyone agreed to err on the side of caution with the goal of ensuring our fighters safety. It was determined Joe would be unable to compete this Saturday at Mohegan Sun.
Joe’s been with us since the beginning and as is the case with every fighter here, it’s incumbent on me to ensure Joe is 100% healthy and medically cleared to fight before he steps into the Bellator cage.”
Bellator 98 takes place tomorrow at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Connecticut and will be headlined by a middleweight title fight between Alexander Shlemenko and Brett Cooper. Tomorrow’s card will also feature the opening round of the promotion’s Season 9 middleweight tournament.
Bellator 98 Fight Card:
Main Card (SpikeTV)
- Bellator Middleweight Title Fight: Alexander Shlemenko (c) vs. Brett Cooper
- Bellator Middleweight Quarterfinal Fight: Justin Torrey vs. Andreas Spang
- Bellator Middleweight Quarterfinal Fight: Dan Cramer vs. Perry Filkins
- Bellator Middleweight Quarterfinal Fight: Brian Rogers vs. Mikkel Parlo
- Bellator Middleweight Quarterfinal Fight: Jason Butcher vs. Giva Santana
- Derek Anderson vs. Patricky “Pitbull” Freire
- Jeff Nader vs. Mike Mucitelli
- Dave Vitkay vs. Brennan Ward
- Andrew Calandrelli vs. Ryan Quinn
- Nick Piedmont vs. Matt Bessette
- Glenn Allair vs. Riso Disciullo
- Josh Diekman vs. Parker Porter