Maximum Fighting Championships put on their twentieth event on Friday in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The event included a lackluster MFC Lightweight Championship bout that saw Antonio McKee defeat Derrick Noble via unanimous decision, earning the position as the first-ever MFC Lightweight Champion.
The first of the co-main events was a welterweight superfight that saw Nick “The Goat” Thompson take a unanimous decision victory over Paul “Semtex” Daley. Thompson kept Daley at bay with his reach and jab during the first and second rounds on the feet, as well as dominating the fight from top position in those two rounds, despite taking some heavy leg kicks from Daley in the first minute of the fight. Besides the leg kicks in the first minute, Daley only really looked strong after a looping punch caught Thompson behind the ear in the second, leading to some ground and pound before the bell sounded to end of the round. The third round, howeverm was nothing but domination by the eventual winner Thompson.
The other co-main event was a barn burner on the ground between Pat Healy and Ryan Ford for the MFC Welterweight Championship. Healy was the more dominant fighter much of the fight, but Ford showed a lot of resiliency and great submission defense throughout the fight. Each round saw both fighters scoring takedowns and reversals in what was a great, evenly matched fight. However in the end Healy retained his belt via split decision (48-47 three times).
The event’s full results were:
- Pat Healy def. Ryan Ford via split decision
- Nick Thompson def. Paul Daley via unanimous decision
- Antonio McKee def. Derrick Noble via unanimous decision
- Bryan Baker def. Rory Singer via KO (punches) — Round 1, 4:55
- David Heath def. Roger Hollet via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1, 2:30
- Solomon Hutcherson def. Dave Mewborn via unanimous decision
- Ryan Machan def. Simon Marini via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 1:48
- Evan Sanguin def. Alain Hernandez via TKO (slam) — Round 1, 2:50
- Josh Russell def. Donovan Foley – Submission (triangle choke) — Round 1, 1:00
- Brad Zazulak def. Richard Symons via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 3:54