WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown sent challenger Leonard Garcia to the canvas with an overhand right in the opening minute of their WEC 39 headliner then went to work to finish his opponent, working ground and pound and attempting a rear naked choke before ultimately forcing Garcia to tap to an arm triangle at 1:57 of the first.
Brown improved to 21-4 with his first title defense, while Garcia falls to 12-3 with the unsuccessful challenge.
The event took place on Sunday, March 1st, at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas and aired live on Versus.
Former champion Urijah Faber is likely to rematch Brown for the belt this summer. Brown captured the title with a first-round TKO of Faber last November. Meanwhile, Garcia could square off with top-contender and WEC 39 victor Jose Aldo to get back into the 145-pound title picture.
Ricardo Lamas, Aldo, and Rob McCullough also earned victories on the evening’s main card.
The event’s complete results were:
- Mike Brown (c) def. Leonard Garcia via submission (arm triangle) — Round 1, 1:57
WEC Featherweight Championship
- Ricardo Lamas def. Bart Palaszewski via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jose Aldo def. Chris Mickle via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 1:39
- Rob McCullough def. Marcus Hicks via majority decision (29-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Danny Castillo def. Phil Cardella via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Damacio Page def. Marcos Galvao via knockout — Round 1, 0:18
- Johny Hendricks def. Alex Serdyukov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kenji Osawa def. Rafael Rebello via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28)
- Alex Karalexis def. Greg McIntyre via TKO (punches) — Round 1, 4:19
- John Franchi def. Mike Budnik via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Mike Pierce def. Justin Haskins via TKO (punches) — Round 3, 3:39