Following UFC Fight Night 32, UFC president Dana White told media members that UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis would still make his December 9 title defense despite a knee injury. As it turns out, those hopes were wishful thinking at best and Pettis’ bout with Josh Thomson will be delayed for the time being. UFC officials reported the change up late Sunday evening.
In the bout’s place will be the UFC flyweight title fight between champion Demetrious Johnson and Joe Benavidez. The bout as originally scheduled as the main event for The Ultimate Fighter 18 Live Finale on November 30, but will now take place three weeks later instead.
UFC on FOX 9 will take place in Sacramento, California on December 19. The night’s co-main event will see bantamweights Michael McDonald and Urijah Faber face off in a crucial bout in the bantamweight division. The FOX network event will take place at the Sleep Train Arena (formerly the ARCO Arena), with prelims airing via FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.
UFC on FOX 9 Fight Card:
Main Card (FOX 8PM ET)
- UFC Flyweight Title Fight: Demetrious Johnson (c) vs. Joe Benavidez
- Urijah Faber vs. Michael McDonald
- Matt Brown vs. Carlos Condit
- Nik Lentz vs. Chad Mendes
Preliminary Card (FOX Sports 1, Facebook)
- Mac Danzig vs. Joe Lauzon
- John Dodson vs. Scott Jorgensen
- Pat Healy vs. Jamie Varner
- Edson Barboza vs. Danny Castillo
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Court McGee
- John Moraga vs. Darren Uyenoyama
- Roger Bowling vs. Abel Trujillo
- Cody McKenzie vs. Sam Stout