After a recap of the previous week’s UK elimination fights, UFC President Dana White reveals Dan Henderson as the coach of the US squad. At the UFC gym in Las Vegas the US lightweights and welterweights lineup for the typical speech from White with Henderson observing, but the talk is quickly interrupted when welterweight Jason Pierce drops to the floor and is out cold. After waking up from his weight-cut induced “nap” Pierce reassures White that he’s okay to continue.
We next learn that John-David Shackelford will be unable to compete on the show due to a herpes lesion and he’s quickly dismissed from the competition.
Christian Fulgium is the next US fighter to struggle with shedding weight, coming in two pounds over the welterweight limit on his first weigh-in attempt. With 40 minutes to go before he has to hit 171-pounds Fulgium, who comments that he’s stopped sweating, hops on the treadmill in an attempt to drop the extra weight but it’s obvious he’ll be unable to do so, collapsing to the floor. White informs Fulgium that failing to make weight is a decision he’ll regret for the rest of his life and sends him packing.
With two fighters already dismissed only six of the eight elimination bouts can take place as scheduled. The results of the bouts are:
US WELTERWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUTS
- Mark Miller def. Kevin Knabjian via TKO (strikes) — Round 2
- Jason Pierce def. Steve Berger via unanimous decision — Round 3
- Damarques Johnson def. Ray Elbe via TKO (strikes) – Round 1
US LIGHTWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUTS
- Richie Whitson def. Paul Bird via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1
- Santino DeFranco def. Waylon Lowe via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 2
- Cameron Dollar def. Tom Hayden via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 2
With six bouts now in the books, White reveals the two replacement fighters: Rob Browning (Junie Browning’s younger brother) and Frank Lester. Next week, we’ll see Jason Dent square off with Browning in the final lightweight opener while Kiel Reid takes on Lester in the last welterweight eliminator.