When the UFC announced that the 20th season of The Ultimate Fighter was going to feature 115-pound women vying for the UFC’s inaugural strawweight belt, one name on the list of cast members was conspicuously absent – a name considered by many to be the frontrunner in any race to the top of the 115-pound heap. But such is life for Jessica Aguilar, who’s stuck on the outside looking in for whatever reason, and tonight will instead be scrapping for the World Series of Fighting‘s own female championship strap.
So who is this woman who could conceivably be the best on the planet in her weight class? Here’s what you need to know about Aguilar, in easily-digestible form:
- She sports a 16-4 record, and fought in Bellator six times.
- Notable wins include decisions over Megumi Fujii (twice) and Carla Esparza.
- Of her 16 wins, seven were via decision, two were by TKO, seven were by submission.
- Of her losses, three were by decision. Here first fight, back on February 18, 2006 in the Absolute Fighting Championships, ended with her tapping out to a choke.
- Aguilar took part in Bellator’s Season 3 115-pound tournament and lost to Zoila Frausto Gurgel in the finals by a narrow – and controversial – split decision.