Jon Jones turned himself into the Albuquerque police on Monday, and according to multiple reports, the UFC champion posted $2,500 bail and was released.
The 27 year-old has been handed a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving death or injury. A pregnant woman incurred a broken arm in the hit-and-run accident, which Jones allegedly was involved in.
Since Jones is dealing with a felony charge, the light-heavyweight star is facing up to three years in prison if convicted.
The champion is currently still scheduled to fight Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23rd. In a follow up report from KOAT Albuquerque, Jones’ attorney, Vincent Ward, was quoted saying:
“He wants to get down to training for this fight he has,” said Ward. “He wouldn’t want to be dealing with this right now, but he’s a great guy, he’s taking all this seriously.”
So far, the UFC has said that the promotion is “in the process of gathering facts and will reserve further comment until more information is available.”