Fabricio Werdum is only four months removed from a defeat to Alistair Overeem, but following his clear cut win at UFC Fight Night 121, “Vai Cavalo” thinks he should be next for a title shot.
Werdum faced Marcin Tybura in the main event of the Sydney card, and outscored the rising heavyweight with strikes, en route to a decision win. Tybura landed some hard shots in the fight as well, and showcased a ton of heart, but the fight’s scoring was never in question after 25 minutes.
Well, at the post-fight presser, Werdum was asked if he believes he’s earned a rematch with the current champ, Stipe Miocic. The jiu-jitsu titan said this (quotes via MMA Junkie):
“I feel for sure I deserve it,” Werdum said. “It’s not just now for this fight and my last fight. I’ve beat a lot of guys – Fedor Emelianenko, Cain Velasquez, Minotauro (Nogueira). I have a history. For 20 years I’ve been fighting. Not just now. I have two belts in my home. Only one fighter in the world is a jiu-jitsu champion, a submission champion and a UFC champion. It’s me.
“I don’t like when I say that, but I know this is true for sure. Given the opportunity I just want to show again. One more belt on my wall at home, I will stop after that. No, no, I’m joking.”
There’s no question that Werdum is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, for some of the reasons he outlined above. He’s also one of the most complete fighters in that division.
But, it’s hard to imagine Werdum getting tapped for a rematch with Miocic next, without someone falling out due to injury etc. Overeem, who won a decision over Werdum in July, is facing Francis Ngannou at UFC 218, December 2nd. One would think that the winner of that fight will be next for Miocic.
Yes, Overeem was also taken out by Miocic last year, but, as noted, he holds a win over Werdum. So, you wouldn’t think the UFC would go with “Vai Cavalo” over the “Reem”.
With Saturday’s win, the 40 year-old Werdum moved his overall record to 23-7-1.