Image Credit: UFC / YouTube

As it stands right now, a rematch going down between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor seems kind of unlikely. But, recently Aldo outlined why he’s certain a rematch between the stars would unfold differently.

This past Saturday, Aldo electrified the fans in Fortaleza, Brazil, by stopping featherweight contender Renato “Moicano”. The event prompted McGregor to tweet out the comments below:

What an amazing atmosphere at UFC Brazil tonight.
I would LOVE to compete there for all the passionate Brazilian fans at some stage of my career.
I was so close to securing a bout in Rio last year. It was essentially a done deal.
Maybe next time.
Ui Vai Morrer!!!! I’m still here.

More from MMA Frenzy

Naturally, Aldo was asked about the possibility of being the man to face McGregor in Brazil. The latter ended Aldo’s storied reign as the 145 champ back in 2015, by knocking him out in just 13 seconds. Here is what Aldo had to say (quotes via MMA Fighting):

“To me it would be great,” Aldo said. “I don’t know if this fight he said [would be] in Rio, it didn’t get to me, but if I have that opportunity at the division above, that way I don’t have to suffer through the weight cut, I think it would be a great fight.”

“I think in the first fight we weren’t able to show my work. He connected with a great punch, but if you have another opportunity, I think the story’s going to be different.”

Now, of course, a lot of fans, particularly Aldo supporters would like to see the two fight again. Especially at 155, where Aldo very likely would match up better against McGregor.

But, when you consider Aldo has repeatedly said he plans to leave MMA after completing his next two bouts, and that McGregor’s in the title shot mix at lightweight, it would be kind of surprising if this fight got down. McGregor doesn’t have much to gain really by fighting Aldo in these circumstances.

But, you just never know when it comes to McGregor.