Tachi Palace Fights 10 took place last night in Lemoore, California and streamed live on Sherdog.com. While the quality of the stream was extremely poor, the organization put on a great show featuring a pair of title fights. In many ways, the card served as a scouting opportunity for when the UFC adds the flyweight division in the near future with five highly ranked flyweights in action.
In the flyweight title fight, WEC veteran Ian McCall and TPF flyweight champion Darrell Montague engaged in a highly entertaining fight that lived up to its main event status. With the bout arguably tied heading to the third round, McCall scored a slick takedown before transitioning to a rear-naked choke that forced Montague to tap. With the TPF flyweight title and victories over several top ten flyweights, “Uncle Creepy” is likely on his way to rejoining Zuffa.
In the co-main event, Eddie Yagin and Joe Soto battled for the vacant TPF featherweight title. The bout did not last long as Yagin rocked the former Bellator champion before sinking in a fight ending choke to secure the upset.
The loss was disastrous for Soto as he was promised a spot in Bellator’s upcoming bantamweight tournament if he wonand was looking to rebound from his loss to Joe Warren at Bellator 27.
Here’s some more notes from the event:
- Former number one flyweight Jussier da Silva used his elite grappling to stifle Muay Thai striker Mamoru Yamaguchi.
- Former WEC light heavyweight champ Doug Marshall was choked out cold by elite Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu trainer Giva “The Arm Collector” Santana in under 30 seconds. With the win, Santana will likely face TPF middleweight champion David Loiseau.
- Wanderlei Silva protege Jorge Lopez used vicious counter strikes to batter Caesar Gracie fighter David Marshall for the better part of two roundsto the point that Marshall was unable to get off his stool for the third round.
- Former TPF flyweight champion and Bellator veteran Ulysses Gomez fought and defeated Drew Bittner at bantamweight. Gomez used his superior ground game to eventually force the larger Bittner to tap out. Gomez is expected to return to flyweight for his next bout.
The complete TPF 10 results were:
- Ian McCall def. Darrell Montague (c) via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 2:15
TPF Flyweight Championship
- Eddie Yagin def. Joe Soto (c) via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:00
TPF Featherweight Championship
- Jussier da Silva def. Mamoru Yamaguchi via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Giva Santana def. Doug Marshall via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 0:29
- Jorge Lopez def. David Marshall via TKO (retirement) – Round 2, 5:00
- Ulysses Gomez def. Drew Bittner via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:21
- Kenny Ento def. Phil Collins via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:46
- Brad McDonald def. Sergio Quinones via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:37
- Musa Toliver def. Andy Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)